SELF MANAGEMENT COACH
Managing life with a health condition isn't always easy. We know that understanding and keeping track of medications, treatments, tests and appointments with healthcare professionals are important, but also that a health condition affects our emotions, how we feel about ourselves, our social life, hobbies and day to day routines at home. Feeling confident managing all of that can be a challenge.
At The James Fisher Surgery, we have a Self Management Coach and Link Worker as part of our team. Clinical healthcare professionals like doctors and nurses can be really important to help us manage the medical aspects of our health, and Self Management Coaches and Link Workers can help us manage the emotional and practical impact in our day to day life.
The Self Management Coach works with you to help you feel confident about managing your health and its impact on your day-to-day life. Discussions will centre around;
- Managing pain and fatigue
- Preparing for appointments
- Accessing information to understand conditions and treatments
- Feeling more confident getting out and about
- Building a network of support around you
- Accepting and coming to terms with having a health condition
The Link Worker can help you connect to your local community whether its signposting or supporting you to access services. Discussions will centre around;
- Improving your social support network and feelings of isolation
- Information sourcing and gaining confidence to attend groups
- Identifying any other non-clinical support options that may be of benefit
Our Self Management Coach, is based at James Fisher Medical Centre each Tuesday . They are part of our team here to support you. Lots of patients and their carers say how hard it is when healthcare professionals only have ten minutes, but health coaches have up to 45 mins for each session to listen to you and support you. Your GP practice nurse or any member of the reception team can refer you to see the Coach, so if you are interested in this, please mention it to one of the team at The James Fisher Surgery.
To see a Link Worker please call 0303 3030153 or use the online referral form;